America Achieves’ strategic focus and mission is to advance inclusive economic growth, a good jobs economy, and broader access to the skills and credentials needed for good jobs and upward mobility. This includes creating clear pathways for economic advancement and success for all in a rapidly changing economy. We aim to help ensure Americans can obtain the economic and educational opportunities they need to be successful in the 21st century. We catalyze large-scale impact by generating, supporting, and incubating high-potential ideas and initiatives, advancing public policy, providing technical assistance to state and local initiatives, delivering thought partnership and philanthropic funding to promising and scalable models for impact, and convening and advising public sector leaders, foundations, and other key leaders to accelerate and scale evidence-based partnerships and solutions.
Since 2020, America Achieves has leveraged our organization, track record, capacity, networks, and expertise to focus on addressing the economic and educational impact of the COVID-19 crisis and advancing long-term rebuilding and recovery. Our work is to offer public policy options and to leverage best-in-class expertise—as well as leverage philanthropy and a network of leaders and experts to support the design and implementation of large-scale federal initiatives to advance economic and educational opportunity. This includes advancing inclusive economic growth, moving current and potential workers—especially from underserved backgrounds—into good jobs and upwardly mobile careers, and evidence-based educational interventions such as high-impact tutoring. This work advances access to a good jobs economy—including ensuring broader and fairer access to the credentials, degrees, and skills needed for upwardly mobile middle-skill jobs as our country recovers from the impact of the COVID -19 pandemic and rebuilds for the future.
Equal Opportunity Employment & Commitment to Diversity
America Achieves is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe that you meet 100% of the qualifications.
Job Title: Senior Director, Strategy & Communities
Location: Remote, Organization headquartered in NYC – candidate must be able to work in alignment with Eastern Time periodically
Reports to: Chief Strategy & Communities Officer
The Senior Director of Strategy & Communities is a strategic partner that supports the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer with effective decision-making, project management, and execution of initiatives managed by the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer. The Strategy and Communities team is entrepreneurial in nature, leading the organization through its strategic planning process, serving as lead on place-based regional economic and workforce initiatives, and designing the constructs for communities of practice, with the opportunity to build and expand impact in the coming months. America Achieves is at an inflection point in its evolution; this role will be critical to the success of each of these initiatives.
- Build and lead the daily operations of the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer
- Support Chief Strategy & Communities Officer with strategic initiatives, facilitate special projects, and ensure action items are executed
- Operate at a tactical, strategic, and operational level, handling the oversight of projects that fall under the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer
- Act as an extension of the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer and information funnel, filter, and facilitator with internal and external stakeholders
- Assess all inquiries directed to the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer, determine priority and the proper course of action
- Track high priority initiatives for the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer to identify any/potential obstacles
- Serve as a thought partner and strategic advisor to Chief Strategy & Communities Officer, standing in on meetings, challenging ideas and offering a different perspective, and following up on action items with the team accordingly
- Provide analysis, recommendations, and options to the Chief Strategy & Communities Officer regarding high impact decisions
- Provide support and oversight for special projects and initiatives, including administrative support as needed
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and maintain multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to be proactive and anticipate needs and potential challenges and then resolve them effectively
- High degree of flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing environment, including working with a variety of stakeholders, advisors, and functional teams to achieve ambitious initiatives
- Professional maturity
- High level of judgment and ability to make decisions with little supervision
- Strong sense of self-motivation, self-agency, and ability to follow-through
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit with a learning orientation and an ability to consistently embrace and incorporate direct feedback
- Strong commitment to the America Achieves mission and equity-centered work
- Bachelor’s degree; master’s degree or continued learning preferred
- Experience working with federal and nonprofit organizations directly or in a consulting capacity
- Demonstrated success in the equity, workforce and/or economic mobility space preferred.
Interested parties should send a resume and cover letter to: Recruiting@AmericaAchieves.org